Our film programme works to profile the innovation, diversity, creativity and excellence of British films around the world, and work to find opportunities for creative exchange between UK filmmakers and Ukrainian counterparts. We do this by:
- Working with our Ukrainian film network and partners to develop imaginative film projects, including curating programmes of contemporary British films, advising on international events (festivals, seminars, master classes, workshops, etc.), and arranging for filmmakers and expert film industry specialists to represent the UK in Ukraine;
- Supporting exchange programming between the UK and Ukraine, so that contemporary Ukrainian cinema is seen across the UK;
- Developing the capacity and skills of Ukrainian and UK film professionals by supporting mentoring schemes;
- Compiling the British Films Directory (incorporating ‘Films in Production’ and Britfilms Catalogues) alongside two additional comprehensive Directories of International Festivals and Filmmakers;
- Promoting our Film Collection, an archive of 120 short documentary films made by the British Council during the 1940s and designed to show the world how Britain lived, worked and played. Preserved by the British Film Institute (BFI)’s National Film Archive and digitised by means of a generous donation by Google, the films are now yours to view, download and play with for the first time here.
Find out more about our various Ukrainian programmes by navigating the menu on the right. Read more about our global programme here.