The British Council announces the launching of the project "Social cohesion and resilience through schools", that will be implemented in the period from June 2019 to February 2020 in partnership with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and financial support of the British Embassy in Ukraine.
This project is part of the programmes with the help of which the British Council aims to support the reform of secondary education "New Ukrainian School".
The aim of the project is to enhance the ability of schools in GCA Donbas and Transcarpathia to provide effective and relevant education to young people and to develop young people’s ability, enthusiasm and opportunities for social action, so as to contribute to greater social cohesion and resilience and to counter young people’s disengagement in communities affected by or at risk of conflict in Ukraine. 4000 school students and 400 teachers from 10 secondary schools in Transcarpathia region and 30 secondary schools in Donetsk and Lugansk regions will become the participants of the project.
The project will be focused around:
• establishment of “Learning Hubs” in schools as the location for after-school clubs;
• involving young people in hubs to help them gain confidence in communicating the English language and developing critical thinking; skills of effective communication, dialogue and debate, etc.;
• improvement in teachers’ professional skills;
• establishment of Active Citizens groups around participating schools and their implementation of social action projects.
- heads and teachers of schools;
- students and parents;
- socially active and interested community members.
The project "Social cohesion and resilience through schools" consists of 3 areas: "Learning Hub", "Teachers' Upgrade", Active Citizens.
It is assumed that each participating school takes part in all projects’ areas and activities.
The project is implemented in partnership and cooperation with participating schools. The project envisages the following requirements for potential participating schools:
- Readiness to cooperate with other schools in the community (village/city/region) or be prepared to establish and maintain partnerships with other schools.
- The availability of a spacious room equipped with furniture for educational materials for the arrangement of "Learning Hub" as open educational space.
- Identify who from the English language teachers will lead the "Learning Hub".
- Ensuring the participation of teachers as trainers and facilitators of training programmes, that are specified in the Project's structure.
- Administrative comprehensive support of project participants' teachers and adherence to the Learning Hub and Active Citizens programme activities, including extracurricular activities involving school students and community members.
- Participation in the Conference on the occasion of the start of the project, which will be held on 9-10 July in Kyiv.
The application is submitted online at the link:
Application deadline: June 11, 2019, at 23:59.
More detailed information could be found in the file below.