What is IELTS Online and how does it work?
If you need to take an IELTS Academic test, you can take it from the comfort of your home or any private location with a stable internet connection. The test format and timings are exactly the same as an Academic test taken at a test centre, your Speaking Test will take place with a trained IELTS examiner via video call.
You can take IELTS Online on your own computer or laptop. IELTS Online uses a combination of human and Artificial Intelligence input to ensure remote proctoring of online testing.
You will need to install the Inspera Exam Portal software before you take the test, which is the platform that IELTS Online runs on. We recommend you do this a day before your test to make sure everything works. You will receive a link to download the software by email.
You will receive your results 3 – 6 days after your test.
IELTS Online is widely recognised by universities and other education providers.
Before you book, please contact the organisation you’re applying to, to confirm that they accept the type of test you are choosing.
IELTS Online is not accepted by immigration authorities.
- You must be 18 years old or older
- A valid passport (coloured)
- Access to a private, well-lit room
- Two hours and fifty minutes of uninterrupted time
- A stable internet connection (recommended download speed: 2Mbps / upload speed 1Mbps)
- A computer or laptop (the test cannot be taken on a tablet or mobile phone)
- A tablet or mobile phone for the room scan during check-in
- The Inspera Exam Portal app needs to be downloaded before the test day
Most Windows and Mac computers are suitable for IELTS Online. We encourage you to check our technical requirements for taking IELTS Online, which include:
- speed of internet connection
- computer model and operating system
- downloading Inspera Exam Portal software
- internet browser updates.
Check the full list of technical requirements on our Take IELTS website.
Robust security is of utmost importance to IELTS, and that's why we continue to have several security measures in place for IELTS Online:
- Multiple ID checks - through identification checks via human recognition and facial recognition software.
- Secure online environment - Once the test starts, your browser will be locked and you won't be able to access anything other than the test platform. When the test is finished, the IELTS Exam Portal can be removed.
- Plagiarism check - to detect memorisation of answers
- Human and AI Proctoring - You will be monitored through the computer camera for the duration of your test.
Prepare for IELTS Online
You can familiarise yourself with the look and feel of IELTS Online with our free practice and familiarisation tests.
You can also find a wealth of free preparation materials in our preparation section, helping you to make the most of your IELTS test.