International students who are entering the UK in the 2020-21 academic year will be eligible to stay for two years after completing their studies to look for work.
Once the route is introduced, international students who have successfully completed a course at undergraduate level or above will be eligible to apply for the Graduate route. The application process will be as simple as possible and applicants will be subject to criminality, identity and security checks. All applications will need to be made in-country and a fee will be applied.
All students accepted for the Graduate route will receive two years non-extendable leave. During that time, they will be able to work, or look for work, at any skill level, but won’t be able to access public funds and settlement rights will not be accrued. Graduates will also be able to switch into skilled work once they have found a suitable job.
For more information, please download the summary document issued by the UK Home Office, available at the bottom of this page.
Book with the British Council and you will receive:
- Our special offer which will give you free access to our brand new IELTS for UKVI preparation materials: ‘GEL IELTS Prep’, which includes personalised, smart support that works with you and your learning needs to help you reach your required IELTS for UKVI score, and includes mock tests and practice recourse for all four skills.
- Free access to a last minute preparation course ‘Road to IELTS’, which includes nine videos with advice and tutorials, 100 interactive activities and two practice tests for each of the four skills.
- Free practice tests and preparation materials: practise IELTS with the British Council for free online or with a copy of the IELTS Practice book which contains sample tests for IELTS Academic and IELTS General Training.
- Convenient dates and locations: we have multiple test locations in countries all around the world. There are more than 800 official British Council IELTS test centres, all of which are conveniently located and have modern facilities.
- Five extra Test Report Forms for free: we send these free of charge to institutions you’re applying to (e.g. immigration offices, universities, etc.)