The Ukraine Higher Education Leadership Development Programme is an innovative project aimed at fostering leadership culture in the national higher education. The programme is a combination of series of learning modules delivered by leading trainers from the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (UK), an opportunity to visit a British partner university as well as practicing leadership skills by working on an institutional change project.
The British Council has been implementing the Programme from 2016 to 2019 in partnership with the Institute of Higher Education of the NAES of Ukraine and the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education (UK), supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
The Programme participants are university teams comprised of 7 team members each. These teams will work together on an innovative change project for the university’s development. University teams include senior/middle managerial staff (rector/pro-rector and head(s) of department), administrative and academic staff, and student representative. Each team member is responsible for a certain strand of the change project, takes an active part in the team work and makes a valuable input into its success.
The Programme requires that the university team follows the “5+2” learning format: 5 team members take part in the “Team Leadership” component, while 2 team members are participants of the “Young Leaders” component.
The “Team Leadership” and “Young Leaders” components have been designed in such a way so as to familiarise the participants with the concepts of the team and individual leadership, which complement each other and are essential for managing effective institutional change project and enabling a quality transformation at the university in general.
Aiming to support implementation of their change project and in order to disseminate skills and knowledge gained through the Programme, the university team (7 members) organises a series of dissemination events at their university/town/region/country level.
As part of the Programme, university teams have an opportunity to visit a UK partner university, provided that a UK university confirms its support for implementing a change project.
Taking part in the Programme is also a wonderful opportunity to:
By the end of 2019, the following outcomes will be delivered:
- analyse and develop your personal leadership potential
- define priority directions for personal and professional development
- change your thinking styles
- increase your personal effectiveness as a professional, team member and leader
- improve communication
- form an effective institutional team
- initiate and discuss implementation of a change project in a comfortable learning environment and creative space
- establish professional and personal contacts with participants from all over Ukraine, Programme facilitators and trainers.
- A national cohort of «change agents» – well-equipped specialists ready to implement innovation changes in their higher education institutions
- Systems for dissemination, networking and sharing effective leadership practice of higher education leadership development
- Effective implementation of leadership development by change agents in the system of higher education or a separate university through recognition of their status and improved achievement indicators of the university
- Universities’ updated strategies are clear about the university’s role and responsibility in terms of expanded autonomy
- A number of Ukrainian academic partnership visits to the UK.