From June 11 to 15, 2021, community-level online pitching took place in Berezan UTC, Kyiv Oblast, as part of the Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project.
Local pitching is a call for social action projects with the financial support of the European Commission and the British Council in co-financing with local governments.
Social Action Project - a project aimed at positive social change in the community.
Who could participate?
Active citizens who were planning a social action project for the development of their community and wanted to receive financial support for its implementation could take part in the pitching.
Details of participation in the competition at the community level (local pitching)
Residents of the Berezan UTC community from the age of 18 who had an idea to improve the life of the community, develop cooperation with local authorities to solve problems and achieve a common goal could participate in the local pitching.
All projects must be implemented by 16 November 2021. Reporting on implemented projects is provided until 16 December 2021.
What were the requirements for Social Action Projects (SAPs)?
The project must be based on generally accepted societal values, be well-planned and relate to local-global connections.
SAPs might also be aimed at:
- strengthening of social cohesion in Ukraine;
- creation and strengthening links between volunteers, local authorities, hospitals, businesses and other representatives of the social processes;
- support for older people and promote inclusiveness (enhancing equal access to the community, including disabled people);
- contribution to the improvement of the environment;
- promotion of youth development, popularization of active citizenship and leadership;
- support of mental health of the community citizens in condition of social distancing;
- promotion of the gender equality and ensuring equal rights and opportunities.
Here were some examples of ideas for social action projects:
- Creative space: creation of creative elements and picturesque corners of improvement on city streets.
- Carrying out activities to improve the health of young people, safe lifestyles and health culture among young people.
- Ecological and tourist ideas: laying eco-trails, creating new tourist attractions, etc.
- Creative initiatives: development of meaningful leisure of youth, youth events, activities, etc.
- Ideas aimed at providing access to public and tourist facilities for disabled people.
Up to UAH 30,000 was provided for one social action project
The total pitching budget was UAH 300,000, of which:
- UAH 150,000 was provided by the Berezan City Council
- UAH 150,000 was provided within Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project
Local Pitching Organisers:
- NGO «Strong Community»
- Berezan City Council
- The British Council and the European Union, represented by the European Commission, in the framework of the Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project
Winners of social actions projects competition in Berezan UTC, Kyiv Oblast:
||Funding within the SC3 project
||Local authority support
||Aim of project
||Volleyball - for everyone!
||Create a beach volleyball court in Berezan near the Central Lake to attract young people to sports and active leisure.
||A school that is open to everyone
||Improving access to education for people with disabilities, including people with temporary disabilities, pregnant women, the elderly, and people in wheelchairs.
||Poshtoviy - center of social cohesion in the community
||Supporting the residents of the housing estate "Poshtoviy" (Berezan) in implementation of socially significant initiatives to improve the life level of Berezan residents.
||Sports playground for healthy and active childhood
||Create a sports playground for healthy and active family leisure in the village of Nedra Berezanska UTC and beautify the surrounding area.
||Worm is the savior of the eco-life of the Yablunevy community
||Introduction of ecological culture by creating a worm farm for processing plant residues into compost.
||Arrangement of a recreation area in the park near the school
||Creating the best conditions for recreation and leisure of the residents of the village of Lekhnivka by installing benches, lanterns, trash cans in the park area and arranging the aesthetic appearance of the territory.
||Healthy community is a healthy nation
||Involve the youth of Berezanska UTC in physical education classes and decide on a sport.
||Learn, train, grow up with us!
||Repair of a part of the communal premises of the Berezan city council, located at the address: Lekhnivka village, 14-Б, Tsentralny Boulevard, with further arrangement of a sports hall for better and richer youth sports leisure and recreation.
||Shevchenko's ways - from the depths of the ages to the present
||Install special identification signs in Berezan UTC for easy orientation on the route to the mound "Excavated Grave", which will increase the tourist potential of the Berezan community by studying and preserving of historical and cultural heritage - works of Taras Shevchenko in Berezan to the 178th anniversary of writing the poem "Excavated grave".
||Spread your wings
||Restoration of the iconic cities of Berezan UTC and delivering a photo contest, uniting creative people of Berezan and surrounding villages.
||Alley for dreams
||Arrange a park area for comfortable recreation for residents of all ages in the village of Sadove.
Active Citizens is a social leadership programme that promotes intercultural dialogue and social responsibility. The programme is being implemented by the British Council in Ukraine since 2014.
Organisations – national partners:
- Kherson Regional Charitable Fund ‘UNION’
- Non-governmental organisation ‘Strong community’
- Non-governmental organisation ‘Youth Platform’
The Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project is a 36-month project aimed at effectively addressing development challenges and opportunities at local level through improved cooperation between civil society organisations (CSOs) and local authorities (LAs) in Ukraine. It is funded by EU and the British Council, and delivered by the British Council working with three experienced (CSO) co-applicants and will operate across all of the Government-controlled areas (GCA) of Ukraine, including GCA Donetsk and Luhansk.
European Union, represented by the European Commission
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities, working with over 100 countries across the world.