From November 16 to 19, 2020, community-level pitching took place in Ternopil as part of the Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project.
Local pitching is a call for social action projects with the financial support of the European Commission and the British Council in co-financing with local governments.
Social Action Project - a project aimed at positive social change in the community.
Who could participate?
Active citizens who were planning a social action project for the development of their community offline or online and wanted to receive financial support for its implementation could take part in the pitching.
Details of participation in the competition at the community level (local pitching)
Residents of the Ternopil community from the age of 18 who had an idea to improve the life of the community, develop cooperation with local authorities to solve problems and achieve a common goal could participate in the local pitching.
All projects must be implemented by 21 April 2021. Reporting on implemented projects is provided until 21 May 2021.
What were the requirements for Social Action Projects (SAPs)?
The project must be based on generally accepted societal values, be well-planned and relate to local-global connections.
SAPs might also be aimed at:
- strengthening of social cohesion in Ukraine;
- creation and strengthening links between volunteers, local authorities, hospitals, businesses and other representatives of the social processes;
- support for older people and promote inclusiveness (enhancing equal access to the community, including disabled people);
- contribution to the improvement of the environment;
- promotion of youth development, popularization of active citizenship and leadership;
- support of mental health of the community citizens in condition of social distancing;
- promotion of the gender equality and ensuring equal rights and opportunities
Here were some examples of ideas for social action projects:
- Creative space: creation of creative elements and picturesque corners of improvement on city streets.
- Carrying out activities to improve the health of young people, safe lifestyles and health culture among young people.
- Ecological and tourist ideas: laying eco-trails, creating new tourist attractions, etc.
- Creative initiatives: development of meaningful leisure of youth, youth festivals, events, activities, etc.
- Ideas aimed at providing access to public and tourist facilities for disabled people.
Up to UAH 30,000 was provided for one social action project
The total pitching budget was UAH 300,000, of which:
- UAH 150,000 was provided by the Ternopil City Council
- UAH 150,000 was provided within Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project
Local pitching organisers:
- NGO "Youth Platform"
- Ternopil City Council
- The British Council and the European Union, represented by the European Commission, in the framework of the Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project
- Ternopil Science Centre
Winners of social actions projects competition in Ternopil:
||SC3 project funding
||Local authority support
||Aim of project
||Increasing children's interest in the safety issue by arranging a space for 3-11 years old children and conducting safety training for Plast pupils in Ternopil for 4 months.
||Your body is not for paints
||Increasing public interest in the problem of domestic violence against women by creating social advertising and its placement on the city advertising sites in public space, as well as holding a campaign 'Silence about violence' as part of '16 days against violence'.
||We taste in a special way
||Creating conditions for inclusive education of young people in the art of cooking by organizing and conducting master classes in cooking.
||Create an accessible, and most importantly - safe, mobile space for NGOs and city activists.
||Life without garbage!
||Creation of a content sorting zone in the classrooms of Ternopil Lyceum. Promoting the culture of waste sorting, the formation of environmental competence and social awareness.
||Creation of a special site (the first in Ternopil) to train future drivers and improve the skills of drivers with less than two years of experience in difficult road situations in which they may be involved while driving. Installation of special stands for car safety. Conducting trainings for residents of the community, which will make them aware of all the dangers on the roads and understand how to behave in difficult road situations.
||Be in your own place!
||Holding an amateur video festival on the theme 'Be in your own place!' To draw the attention of high school and first-year students to the importance of conscious and independent choice of their future profession.
||Cycling quest of historical sites of Ternopil for young people aged 14-25 to increase their interest in an active lifestyle and social activity.
||Agents of social change
||Conducting 8 systematic sessions that will help to form social cohesion and social culture among participants and their environment in Ternopil in order to achieve positive social change in the community, its development and activation of the city's youth.
||Let's hear Let's help
||Introduction of online video communication with a sign language interpreter for deaf people to ensure accessibility and self-support at the service centers of Ternopil.
||Installation of three large containers for separate garbage collection to improve the environmental situation in the neighborhood.
||Conducting a series of webinars focusing on career guidance, trainings, excursions and in-depth individual professional diagnostics for students of 8th - 10th grades of school №10 in Ternopil to increase the interest of student youth in the conscious choice of their future profession.
||Conducting an 8-day weekend camp for displaced children to facilitate the process of adaptation to the new environment and cultural factors.
||Open space for communication
||Arranging a school yard or lobby (in adverse weather conditions) for meetings of volunteers, community activists, student youth (250 students) with famous people who promote a healthy lifestyle (9 meetings).
Active Citizens is a social leadership programme that promotes intercultural dialogue and social responsibility. The programme is being implemented by the British Council in Ukraine since 2014.
Organisations – national partners:
- Kherson Regional Charitable Fund ‘UNION’
- Non-governmental organisation ‘Strong community’
- Non-governmental organisation ‘Youth Platform’
The Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project is a 36-month project aimed at effectively addressing development challenges and opportunities at local level through improved cooperation between civil society organisations (CSOs) and local authorities (LAs) in Ukraine. It is funded by EU and the British Council, and delivered by the British Council working with three experienced (CSO) co-applicants and will operate across all of the Government-controlled areas (GCA) of Ukraine, including GCA Donetsk and Luhansk.
European Union, represented by the European Commission
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities, working with over 100 countries across the world.