From February 22 to 25, 2021, community-level online pitching took place in Semenivska UTC, Zhytomyr Oblast, as part of the Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project.
Local pitching is a call for social action projects with the financial support of the European Commission and the British Council in co-financing with local governments.
Social Action Project - a project aimed at positive social change in the community.
Who could participate?
Active citizens who were planning a social action project for the development of their community and wanted to receive financial support for its implementation could take part in the pitching.
Details of participation in the competition at the community level (local pitching)
Residents of the Semenivska UTC community from the age of 18 who had an idea to improve the life of the community, develop cooperation with local authorities to solve problems and achieve a common goal can participate in the local pitching.
All projects must be implemented by 26 July 2021. Reporting on implemented projects is provided until 15 August 2021.
What were the requirements for Social Action Projects (SAPs)?
The project must be based on generally accepted societal values, be well-planned and relate to local-global connections.
SAPs might also be aimed at:
- strengthening of social cohesion in Ukraine;
- creation and strengthening links between volunteers, local authorities, hospitals, businesses and other representatives of the social processes;
- support for older people and promote inclusiveness (enhancing equal access to the community, including disabled people);
- contribution to the improvement of the environment;
- promotion of youth development, popularization of active citizenship and leadership;
- support of mental health of the community citizens in condition of social distancing;
- promotion of the gender equality and ensuring equal rights and opportunities
Here were some examples of ideas for social action projects:
- Creative space: creation of creative elements and picturesque corners of improvement on city streets.
- Carrying out activities to improve the health of young people, safe lifestyles and health culture among young people.
- Ecological and tourist ideas: laying eco-trails, creating new tourist attractions, etc.
- Creative initiatives: development of meaningful leisure of youth, youth festivals, events, activities, etc.
- Ideas aimed at providing access to public and tourist facilities for disabled people.
Up to UAH 30,000 was provided for one social action project
The total pitching budget was UAH 300,000, of which:
- UAH 150,000 was provided by the Semenivska VillageCouncil
- UAH 150,000 was provided within Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project
Local Pitching Organisers:
- Kherson Regional Charitable Fund ‘UNION’
- Semenivska City Council
- The British Council and the European Union, represented by the European Commission, in the framework of the Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project
Winners of social actions projects competition in Semenivska UTC
||SC3 project funding
||Local authority support
||Aim of project
||Popularization of rural green tourism in Semenivska OTG, involvement of youth in local tourist activities, organization of leisure for children and youth, which will promote their competence, harmonious development, creation of conditions for self-realization.
||Creation of library space in the village of Semenivka in order to unite different social groups, holding cultural, informational and recreational activities for residents.
||Place of peace and happiness
||Providing psychological rehabilitation and emotional support services to vulnerable groups who are severely affected by the negative effects of coronavirus: medical and social workers, victims of domestic violence, by establishing a room of psycho-emotional relief "Peace and Happiness" in the administrative building.
||Clean Air Pavilion
||Installing a summer pavilion for school students.
||Art area instead of gadgets
||Creating conditions for the development of children's creativity by creating an art zone on the basis of Velykonizhyretska school, thereby reducing the time spent by children on gadgets.
||Establishment of the Joseph Conrad Trails Eco-Route
||Development, formation and popularization of ecotourism on the territory of Semenivka community by developing and implementing an eco-route "Joseph Conrad's Trails".
||This is not a "MasterChef"
||Helping young people to master modern technologies of creating culinary products by holding a series of culinary master classes in one of the public restaurants.
||Person of the Year - Semenivka Community 2020
||Identifying outstanding and talented individuals, celebrating the intellectual and professional elite of the community and awarding the winners for the most important professional achievements in management, economic, social, cultural and socio-political activities. Distinction of community activists who contribute to its development by setting an example to follow.
||The territory of sports and a healthy lifestyle
||Arrangement of a sports hall, creation of conditions for active involvement of children and youth in physical culture and sports, carrying out of sports actions at school.
||Creating a home theater to provide productive and interesting leisure for teenagers and young people.
||Autonomous lanterns to save the environment
||Installation of energy-saving street lamps.
Active Citizens is a social leadership programme that promotes intercultural dialogue and social responsibility. The programme is being implemented by the British Council in Ukraine since 2014.
Organisations – national partners:
- Kherson Regional Charitable Fund ‘UNION’
- Non-governmental organisation ‘Strong community’
- Non-governmental organisation ‘Youth Platform’
The Strengthening Cross-Sectoral Collaboration for Social Cohesion (SC3) project is a 36-month project aimed at effectively addressing development challenges and opportunities at local level through improved cooperation between civil society organisations (CSOs) and local authorities (LAs) in Ukraine. It is funded by EU and the British Council, and delivered by the British Council working with three experienced (CSO) co-applicants and will operate across all of the Government-controlled areas (GCA) of Ukraine, including GCA Donetsk and Luhansk.
European Union, represented by the European Commission
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities, working with over 100 countries across the world.